Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2013

"ASSUMPTION CAN BE A B*#^H!"

For most of you who know me personally will testify that I don't waste time in watching a movie that is an adaptation of any of the superhero stories from comic book rivals DC and Marvel. And I am sure most of you are wondering why I had not even posted anything concerning this movie, 'The Wolverine' (and even the Man of Steel, which I guess I can speak for everyone that it is an awesome movie). I have my reasons.

As at the time I thought of watching The Wolverine, which was the most recent superhero movie from the stables of the Marvel comics, I had chats with movie freaks like you and myself who watched the movie but displayed mostly dissatisfaction with the film. At listening to most of their comments I created assumptions of my own, that the movie sucks! Already I became judgmental and lacked the interest to watch it because of my opinion of the former Wolverine movie, 'Origin', which i was not pleased with. This made me start to question why Marvel would go ahead to waste money to make this movie knowing well that the last one was not too impressive.

But here is my confession. After I watched the new Wolverine film, I wasn't sure of what I thought of it. This was because the movie was contrary to everything my friends described it and this made me feel ashamed for making assumptions even when I had not seen it. 
The movie 'The Wolverine' was exciting and very interesting. Its a good follow up to what the Marvel film left behind in the 'X-men: The Last Stand' released 2006, as the audience were reminded of the Jean Grey character who was killed by Logan when she became a threat to human existence.

In the movie The Wolverine, Logan is summoned to Japan by an old acquaintance, and finds himself embroiled in a conflict that forces him to confront his own demons.


The movie begins with Logan being held as a prisoner in a Japanese POW camp near Nagasaki in 1945 ( remember he is immortal). During his captivity, Logan rescues an officer named Yashida and shields him from the blast from the historical atomic bombing of Nagasaki.

In the present day, Logan hides away in a forest in the Yukon of Canada, tormented by hallucinations of Jean Grey, whom he was forced to kill in X-Men: The Last Stand. He is located by Yukio, a mutant with the precognitive ability to foresee people's deaths, on-behalf of Yashida, now the CEO of a technology corporation. Yashida is dying of cancer, and Yukio convinces Logan to accompany her to Japan so that Yashida may repay his life debt.

In Tokyo, Logan meets Yashida's son, Shingen, and granddaughter, Mariko. There, Yashida offers to transfer Logan's healing abilities into his own body, thus saving Yashida's life and alleviating Logan of his immortality, which Logan views as a curse. Logan refuses and prepares to leave the following day.


The next morning, Logan is informed that Yashida has died. At the funeral, proceedings were however disrupted by Yakuza gangsters who attempt to kidnap Mariko, but Logan and Mariko escape together into the urban sprawl of Tokyo. Logan is shot and his wounds do not heal as quickly as they should. After fighting off more Yakuza on a bullet train, Logan and Mariko hide in a locallove hotel. 
The rest of the movie sees Logan attempt to get his abilities back while trying to protect Mariko who he falls for, and is also curious on the reason for attempted kidnap by the Yakuza criminal organisation.

I must say, Logan's nonchalant ' I don't care' attitude coupled with his brutish behavior, and the way he doles out harsh and nasty words when he is uninterested about anything (which is always what I looked out for in any X-men movie) were not lost, and the film's action sequences were entertaining as Logan can be said to be getting stronger and faster in his fighting skills. I gotta say, I was mind-blown with his fights at the funeral and on the bullet train. 

As of August 19, 2013, The Wolverine has grossed $120,551,787 in North America, and $214,800,000 in other countries, for a worldwide total of $335,351,787.
The film has received generally positive reviews among critics. The popular film review website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 69% approval rating with an average rating of 6.3/10 based on 200 reviews. The website's consensus reads, "Although its final act succumbs to the usual cartoonish antics, The Wolverine is one superhero movie that manages to stay true to the comics while keeping casual viewers entertained." It has a score of 60 out of 100 at Metacritic, based on 43 reviews. CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade cinemagoers gave for the film was an "A-".


The movie was also used as an opportunity to introduce the next X-men film with the theme 'Days of future past' which is still in the works and has been scheduled for release next year, as Logan is shown during a mid-credits scene returning to the United States after two years and is intercepted at the airport by Magneto and Professor Xavier, who is presumed to be dead, and warns him of an imminent grave threat to the mutant race.
I was really impressed with this movie that I am now contemplating watching 'Wolverine: The Origin' again, you know, just in case I missed something or maybe I was too hasty and brash with my decision! Right...what do you think, I should watch is again abi?! 

The movie 'Wolverine', is a 2013 American-Australian superhero film and is the sixth installment in the X-Men film series and the second film headlining Wolverine. The movie is based on the 1982 limited series Wolverine by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. Hugh Jackman reprises his role from previous films as the title character.

No comments:

Post a Comment